Lagos State Governor Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu has approved the appointment of Shuaheeb Olabode Agoro as the 22nd Head of Service with effect from September 30, 2023. A statement signed by the
Following the removal of Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigerian People’s Party by the state’s Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal on Wednesday, the administration of Kano State issued a 24-hour curfew in the state to prevent a breakdown in peace and order. On Wednesday, security was increased throughout the Kano metropolis shortly after a three-person election tribunal led by Justice Oluyemi Akintan-Osadebay declared Nasir Gawuna, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, the victor of the state’s March 2023 governorship election. In a statement, the state’s commissioner of police, Mohammed Gumel, who verified the curfew order, stated that the restriction was in place from Wednesday at 6 p.m. until today at 6 p.m. Gumel pledged to enforce the order strictly and issued a warning that anyone who disobeyed would be detained and subject to the full force of the law. He said, “A 24-hour curfew order has been issued by the state government by letter with reference number K/SEC/H/435/T.1/153 dated September 20, 2023, and it will be in force from 6 p.m. on September 20, 2023, to 6 p.m. on September 21, 2023. The Kano State Police Command has mapped out strategies in that direction and called on the good people of the state to give the necessary confidence and support. “In view of the constitutional mandate of the Nigeria Police Force along with the relevant internal security and law enforcement agencies to preserve law and order in the state. Residents of Kano State are urged to take note that joint security personnel have already been sent to the state’s entrances and exits as well as other remote locations to ensure that the curfew is strictly enforced. Infringers will be taken into custody and forced to experience the full force of the law. Finally, Gumel said, “I would want to express my gratitude to all the law-abiding citizens of the state and urge them to continue doing so since it is in all of our best interests to work together to preserve law and order in the state. After the tribunal ruled that Yusuf’s election as governor of Kano State was unlawful, worried businessmen hastily locked up their stores in all of the major marketplaces and shopping centres while locals raced home. The court mandated that Yusuf’s certificate of return be revoked and that Gawuna be provided a replacement instead. Zoom had been used by the panel to start the hearings at the tribunal’s Miller Road location.The verdict was rendered several weeks after closing arguments were presented on behalf of the clients of both sides’ solicitors on August 21. The court determined that the governor’s 165,663 votes were illegitimate. The 165,663 voters’ ballots, in the judge’s opinion, were illegal since they were not signed and stamped. The NNPP received 1,019,602 votes, according to the Independent National Electoral Commission, defeating the APC, whose candidate received 890,705 votes. Thus, the NNPP candidate prevailed with a 128,897 vote lead. The APC, however, submitted an appeal to the tribunal challenging the results announced by the election board. The tribunal also stated in its ruling that the matter of sponsorship and party membership is a matter for the party to handle internally. Abba Ali, the interim National Chairman of the NNPP, responded to the decision by saying it was a repetition of the 2019 gubernatorial election, in which the tribunal reportedly overturned the people’s will and gave the victory to the loser. The party pledged that the claimed unfair judgement would not stand while pleading with millions of its followers in the state and throughout the nation to maintain calm and keep the peace. According to Ali, “The New Nigeria People’s Party welcomes the ruling of the Kano State Election Petition Tribunal on the March 18, 2023 gubernatorial election with absolute amazement and bewilderment.“The NNPP regrets that by overturning the will of the people and awarding election results to those who lost the election, this tribunal has merely reenacted the unholy script of 2019,” it says. “The reported judgement nullified the free, credible, and universally hailed as fair election of our governorship candidate, Engr Abba Kabir Yusuf brazenly awarded the election to the APC candidate, Nasiru Gawuna,” the statement said. It claimed that the tribunal’s decision was reached by unfairly taking 165,663 votes from Yusuf and handing them to the APC candidate, calling the decision absurd and an injustice. “The tribunal’s judgement is a slap in the face to constitutionality and the rule of law, and it has the potential to further erode public faith in the judicial system. The NNPP has said that it would challenge this egregiously unjust ruling. Bashir Wada, the NNPP’s attorney, announced that his clients will contest the ruling of the tribunal.He said, “We are going to consult with our clients and I can assure you that we are going to appeal against this judgement because it is a judgement we felt did not manifest the justice of the matter. I can assure you that this decision will be overturned on appeal. The tribunal has delivered its own judgement. “If you look at the ruling that the tribunal in Osun state made, it is essentially identical to this one in that the tribunal may go and review the paper that was presented to it without any supporting evidence.
After military leaders staged a coup to remove President Ali Bongo, Gabon was temporarily suspended from the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth’s foreign ministers met informally on the sidelines of the UNGA to make the decision. Leaders urged Gabon to respect the Commonwealth’s ideals and tenets. They urged the nation to quickly have elections that can be trusted. Shortly after Mr. Bongo was proclaimed the victor of the 2023 presidential election, Gabon’s military removed him from office. Since 2009, when he replaced his father, who had controlled the oil-rich nation for 41 years, Mr. Bongo has remained in charge. As military authorities took over, he was originally put under house arrest; however, he was eventually released and granted freedom to travel abroad for medical check-ups. As the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, the foreign ministers have asked Gabon to ensure Mr. Bongo’s safety and those of his family. They have also “strongly condemned the unconstitutional removal of the elected government from office,” according to a statement. They stated that the suspension of Gabon was in effect “pending the restoration of democracy”. It excludes Gabon from all gatherings and activities involving the Commonwealth’s heads of government and ministers. After Gen. Brice Oligui Nguema, who orchestrated the coup against Mr. Bongo, was elected as the temporary president of Gabon, the new prime minister, Raymond Ndong Sima, was appointed as interim prime minister in September. The future authorities of Gabon have been given until August 30, 2023, to organise free and fair elections, according to Commonwealth ministers. They also said that the nation may be completely expelled from the organisation if improvements were not achieved in that period. Other world leaders in both Africa and the West have condemned the coup, but many people seem to have embraced the change. The choice of Mr. Bongo to run for a third term was met with scepticism by many Gabonians, and the opposition charged extensive fraud. Following his stroke in October 2018, some people had grave concerns about his ability to govern effectively.