President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered that decisive measures be taken to stop the recurring violence in the Southern Kaduna State.
Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris was in the state on Saturday and Sunday to assess the situation.
In addition to the conventional policemen deployed in the area, a statement by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said a squadron of mobile policemen had also been stationed there.
According to him, the army was setting up two battalions in Southern Kaduna. The military will continue to carry out air surveillance across flash points of the area.
The President, the statement said, has also directed the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to carry out a joint assessment of the situation with the sister agency in Kaduna, SEMA, in order to determine the level of response required for urgent aid for the victims.
It reads: “These measures should soon ensure the return of normalcy to the region, while the Kaduna State government continues its peace building efforts.
“The President commended efforts of the state government and the security agencies in the steps taken so far to curtail the violence.
“President Buhari has, once again, sent condolences to the people of Southern Kaduna, who have lost loved ones in the recent violence.”