A federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court has adjourned till January 25, 2017 the trial of former National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) for alleged misappropriation of $2.1 billion arms fund.
The adjournment was consequent upon the absence of one of the defendants and a one-time Director of Finance and Account (DFA) in the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), Salisu Shuaibu, who was said to have been hospitalised.
Prosecution counsel, Oluwaleke Atolagbe, who informed the presiding judge, Justice Baba Yusuf of the development, told the court that he had been served the medical report. He, therefore, applied for a short adjournment since hearing could not proceed in the absence of the defendant.
Counsel to Shuaibu, Adetayo Adeyemo, after apologising for his client’s absence, told the court that the medical document had been made available to the registry and all concerned parties to authenticate the claim.
Following non-opposition from counsel to the other defendants, the lawyers subsequently conferred with themselves and picked the new date for continuation of trial. Justice Baba-Yusuf, in his brief ruling, noted that since the charge was filed, the second defendant had never been absent in court and that for that reason the court was obliged to grant the request for adjournment.
Meanwhile, a second charge referred by Justice Peter Affen after the consolidation of charges was similarly adjourned to January 24, 2017 for mention. Aminu Baba Kusa, Acacia Limited and Reliance Referer Hospital are the other defendants in the suit instituted by the Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).While five of them had been granted bail, Dasuki has, however, remained in custody since December 5 last year.