Man United’s Greenwood in court for attempted Rape.

 Man United’s Greenwood in court for attempted Rape.

Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood has been swept into court on Monday after being charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault of a teenage student.

The England winger appeared in the dock of Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Monday wearing a grey sweatshirt and grey jogging bottoms.

Daily Mail reports that members of the footballer’s family sat in the public gallery as well as members of the press. The 21-year-old was flanked by two dock officers as he entered the court.

He spoke to confirm his name, date of birth and address at the beginning of the hearing, before the court heard the details of the charges against him.

Proceedings were then adjourned until later on Monday morning by District Judge Mark Hadfield, where a decision on his bail arrangements will be decided.

The player was first held in January over allegations relating to a young woman after images and videos were posted online.

He had been on bail since then, but was arrested in the Trafford area on Saturday for an alleged breach of conditions.

Shortly after 4pm on Saturday, the Crown Prosecution Service said it had authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Greenwood.

According to Daily Mail, Janet Potter, who is the deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for the CPS North-West, said, “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

“All three counts relate to the same complainant.

“Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorised the charges following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.”

The attempted rape is alleged to have taken place in October 2021.

The controlling and coercive behaviour relates to a period between November 2018 and October this year, while the charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm is dated December 2021.

Ms Potter added, “The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.

“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice those proceedings.”

Within hours of the allegations surfacing online at the beginning of the year, the forward – who has made one appearance for England – was suspended from playing or training with the Old Trafford club.

Nike suspended and later terminated its sponsorship deal with Greenwood, while Electronic Arts confirmed his removal from active squads on its FIFA ’22.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.