The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has accused the government of being reluctant to implement the agreement between the two parties and said it should not be held responsible if there is any disruption in the university system.
The union recalled that it issued a caveat before suspending its three months old strike in February that “the suspension was conditional.”
Speaking with Reporters in a phone interview Thursday evening, the national president of the union, Biodun Ogunyemi, said the government had not shown commitment to carrying out the 2019 Memorandum of Action.
Reported how the minister of education, Adamu Adamu, on Tuesday said the federal government had approved an additional N25 billion allowance for members of ASUU.
But Mr Ogunyemi said the money should have been released in February as agreed by the parties. He said it was meant to be a part-payment of the earned academic allowances of the teachers.
”As at now, the universities have not received the said N25 billion. The fund was expected to be used for part-payment of the arrears of Earned Academic Allowances (EAA) as agreed with the Federal Government in February this year,” he said.
According to him, ASUU was told that approval had been given as far back as February.
”However, the fund has not been released to the universities for paying part of the outstanding EAA of those qualified to take it. Our members are seriously worried about this and other aspects of the Memorandum of Action ASUU signed with the FGN on 7th February 2019,” he said.
Mr Ogunyemi said the union will be having a meeting soon to take decisions on the situation.
“Reaching an agreement with the Federal Government has often been a frustrating journey for our union. It is often marked with protests, strikes and requires a conscious and focused engagement. The 2001 agreement, which gave birth to the 2009 agreement, was not an exemption. The exception here is the personality leading the government negotiation team.