Tottenham Sack Interim Head Coach.
Cristian Stellini has been sacked as interim head coach at Tottenham after only four matches in charge of the north London club.
The Italian was placed in charge of Tottenham after Antonio Conte was sacked at the end of March. He oversaw a 1-1 draw against Everton followed by a fiery 2-1 win against Brighton.
But Tottenham were stunned by a 95th-minute winner against relegation-threatened Bournemouth earlier this month and a humiliating 6-1 defeat to Newcastle at St James’ Park on Sunday.
The defeats have led Tottenham to sack Conte’s former assistant with immediate effect.
Ryan Mason, who managed Tottenham on an interim basis after Jose Mourinho was sacked in February 2021 and was working with Stellini after Conte’s exit, will lead the team until the end of the season.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy said in a statement: “Sunday’s performance against Newcastle was wholly unacceptable. It was devastating to see. We can look at many reasons why it happened and whilst myself, the board, the coaches and players must all take collective responsibility, ultimately the responsibility is mine.
“Cristian will leave his current role along with his coaching staff. Cristian stepped in at a difficult point in our season and I want to thank him for the professional manner in which he and his coaching staff have conducted themselves during such a challenging time. We wish him and his staff well.
“Ryan Mason will take over head coach duties with immediate effect. Ryan knows the club and the players well. We shall update further on his coaching staff in due course.
“I met with the player committee today – the squad is determined to pull together to ensure the strongest possible finish to the season. We are all clear we need to deliver performances which earn your amazing support.”
Tottenham are currently searching for a long-term successor for Conte with former Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann reportedly the favourite to take the permanent manager’s job at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Conte left the club after he launched into an explosive broadside at his players.
“The problem is we have shown we are not a team,” Conte said after the game. “We are 11 players. I see selfish players. I see players that don’t want to help each other, don’t play with heart.”
‘It’s unacceptable’ – Conte to players after 3-3 draw at Southampton
The former Italy, Juventus and Chelsea boss then told a press conference: “They are used to it here, don’t play for something important.
“They don’t want to play under pressure. They don’t want to play under stress. Tottenham’s story is this. 20 years there is the owner and they never won something. Why?
“The fault is only for the club or for every manager that stays here? I have seen the managers that Tottenham had on the bench.”
There has been further turmoil at Tottenham since. The club’s director of football Fabio Paratici left the club on Friday as he appeals his worldwide ban from football.
Paratici was handed a 30-month ban from Italian football by FIFA over alleged financial malpractice while he was at Juventus, and that ban was made worldwide last Wednesday.
Tottenham are currently fifth in the Premier League table, but are currently six points off a Champions League qualifying place with six games left of their season to go.
Spurs host Manchester United on Thursday before an away trip to Liverpool on Sunday.